NCEA is committed to ‘high quality’ physical education. We are one of the few educational establishments nationally that employ ‘specialist’ physical education staff, who work in Foundation, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.
Our PE Specialists deliver PE lessons, organise sports events and festivals, and offer help, support and in-service PE training to each Campus- in order to up skill staff and to improve the delivery of primary physical education.
NCEA Primary prides itself on its comprehensive and full programme of intra and inter-school sport. It is our policy to field sports teams, and we attend most inter school sporting events that are facilitated by the Ashington and Amble School Games Development Manager and other community organisations. We have fielded teams in: athletics, cross-country, football (girls and boys), cricket, gymnastics, handball, netball; hockey; swimming; mini tennis; tag rugby and tri- golf.
NCEA has achieved the School Games PE Silver Mark for the second consecutive year for our commitment and provisions towards Primary PE. The Youth Sports Trust commended us for the following strengths, including participation in local, inter and intra-competitions, leadership development and after school club opportunities.
NCEA/Sport Primary was selected by the Youth Sports Trust to host and deliver a National Open day to local and regional primary schools to showcase our PE ‘model’ and share achievements.
Delegate feedback was very positive.
“I have had a look through the evaluation sheets and they are really positive about the day and the experience that the delegates have had, along with the knowledge and ideas they received on how they can move PE and school sport forward in their own Primary School”
– Debbie Hepple, Youth Sports Trust Development Manager for North East, NCEA Primary YST Open Day
Our children have enjoyed considerable success including:
- Year 6 Girls Football Ashington Area Schools Games winners
- The Northumberland Schools Athletics Association (NSAA) hosted their second ever cross country competition at Gateshead Stadium in early October and 43 of our pupils attended. 1,000 pupils from Y3-Y8 in total from across Northumberland competed in their age group. A year 6 girl from James Knott finished 11th overall out of 94 girls in the Y6 race, and a year 6 boy from Grace Darling finished a fantastic 3rd place overall out of 109 for the Y6 boys. Our Y6 team finished 4th overall out of 17 schools.
- Under 11 East Northumberland Boys Football league winners 2016
- 3 boys qualified for the East Northumberland Football Squad.
- 1 girl qualified for the East Northumberland Football Squad.
- A year 6 girl from Grace Darling was the fastest sprinter at the Northumberland Athletic Championships, which was staged in Hexham in June 2016
- Runners up in the Year 5/6 Ashington Area Schools Netball tournament
- Runners up in the Ashington Area Schools Track and Field competition in 2015 and 2016
- Winners of the Year 3/4 Level 2 School Games Tag Rugby Competition
- 6 children represented East Northumberland in the Year 3/4 Quadkids County Finals.
- Winners of the Year 5/6 Quadkids Athletics Level 2 School Games Competition
- All of our year groups had 100% participation in intra school festival competitions and festivals.
- We deliver weekly sports competitions and festivals and all children are encouraged to participate.
Intra / Inter Campus Sports Events
In 2015-16 our PE Co-ordinators planned and delivered the following sports competitions:
Inter-Campus Competitions and Events
Year 6 Sports Leaders training
Year 6 Skipping Leaders competition
Year 6 Girls Football Competition
Year 6 Cross Country
Key Stage 2 Ultimate Frisbee Competition
Year 3/4 Girl’s football competition
Year 6 Boy’s football competition
Year 5/6 Basketball competition
Year 4 ‘Tag-Rugby’ competition
Year 3/4 Winter Sports Event
Year 5/6 Winter Sports Event
Year 3/4 Summer Sports Event
Year 5/6 Summer Sports event
Year 6 Northumberland Schools Indoor Athletics
Year 6 Physical Fitness Challenge
Year 3 Kwik Cricket Competition
Year 6 Tag-Rugby Competition
Year 1 Intra Campus Multi Skills Festival
Year 2 Intra Campus Multi Skills Festival
Year 4/5 Inter Campus O.A.A. Festival (Problem Solving & Team Building)
Year 3/4 Short Tennis Competition
Key Stage 1 and 2 Dance
Key Stage 1 Key Skills Gymnastics
Extra-Curricular PE & Sport
A broad range of sports and activities are offered to all pupils at all of our Primary Campuses, and a number of ‘quality assured’ sports coaches work with us to develop after school sport. A range of after school clubs have been delivered by our staff, sports leaders and coaches for pupils from Year 1 to Year 6. To raise standards and to encourage after school sports participation, we offer gymnastics, netball, football, multi-skills, dance, gymnastics, tennis and physical fitness after school clubs.
To promote increased sports participation and to improve standards In PE, we have developed holiday tag rugby courses and an easter and summer multi activity sports camps. The camps provide an opportunity for a group of our young children to improve their physical skills and to increase levels of physical activity. By experiencing a range of new activities in an attractive environment, we aim to foster an enthusiasm for exercise and sport and to impact on attitudes towards physical activity and exercise.
“Jake has thoroughly enjoyed the summer week; he loved the variety of sports that were offered. He also felt comfortable and happy in the environment with the students and teachers making the experience of sports camp a memorable one”
Links with local sports providers
We work closely with the following educational sports providers in order to enhance provision
- Newcastle Eagles ‘Hoops 4 Health’ Health and Fitness Programme
- Northumberland Rugby Football Union ‘Tacking Numbers’ numeracy programme
- Newcastle United ‘Match Fit’, ‘Family Football’ and ‘Toon Times’. History, Fitness and Personal and Social Education programme
- Northumberland County Cricket Board ‘Chance to Shine’ Cricket Coaching
- England Schools Football Association ‘ Tesco Soccer Skills’ Football coaching
- ‘BikeAbility’ training. Cycle safety training
- Durham Women’s Football Club Coaching. Girls Football coaching
- The new Sport England Asda ‘Play-Maker’ training. Lunchtime Supervisor/Active playgrounds training
All sporting success is celebrated and individuals and teams are commended in their Campus end of week achievement assemblies. A range of awards and certificates are presented to successful individuals and teams from the various NCEA primary festivals, Ashington Area School competitions and Northumberland sports events.
In 2016 NCEA/Sport staged its first annual awards evening where our Primary and Secondary PE colleagues, along with NCEA Directors came together to celebrate individual student and team success.
Director of Sport: Andy Blight
PE Specialists: Ian Johnson; Doug Meadows; Mark Watson (Rugby Coach)